As we transition into the cold of winter, homeowners and renters can take precautions to protect their family and home from a fire. Below are some tips to minimize fire hazards and risks and keep your family, pets, and property safe.

Strings of Light Will Easily Ignite

Whether your lights stayed up year-round or have been packed away for the last 11 months, there’s a chance that there has been some damage to your holiday lights. As you are decorating for the holidays, make sure to take an extra few minutes to check for frayed wires and broken plugs.

Don't overdo it with your outlets

While it may be convenient to plug all of your holiday lights together, it’s easy to overload your electrical outlet, creating a huge fire hazard. Be conscious of how many electrical Christmas decorations you are trying to light up on each fuse.

candles = fire

Even if it’s only for a minute, never leave burning candles unattended. Especially if you have pets or other people in the house, you don’t ever want to risk a fire. And be sure to extinguish them before going to bed.

Water the giant plant in your living room

Make sure your live Christmas trees are sufficiently watered, and check the stand daily for dehydration. Dried-out trees are dangerous as they can ignite easily and burn quickly.

Clean Santa’s entryway

Creosote buildup in fireplaces is more common than you think. If smoke or fire occurs where it shouldn’t, it can make for a dangerous situation. A good rule of thumb is to have your fireplace checked by a professional once a year, especially before the Christmas stockings get hung up..

Why are there so many ways to start a fire?

This may seem obvious, but keep any space heaters away from anything flammable. This includes beds, curtains, trees, paper, trees, presents, trees… Also, don’t place a heater by your tree. Better to grab a blanket if you’re cold than to put your home at risk.

Checking your batteries... checking them twice

  • Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors may seem annoying when they’re beeping at you, but they are there to avoid tragedy. After all the flaming GIFs in this article, keeping up with a few batteries is worth the peace of mind.

Fire safety to give you and your home a chance

Grease, overcooked food, food crumbs… have we mentioned that many things can catch fire in your home? Having a fire extinguisher on hand, and a supplemental extinguisher specifically formulated for grease fires, and keeping them handy can keep possible fire damage to a minimum.

When you can't handle the flame

Have an escape plan for your family – including your pets! If you have small children, you can even make it a game to practice your fire drill (but definitely let them know that it is a drill). And of course, make sure everyone in your household knows and has the ability to dial 911 in case of a fire or other emergency.

YourHomeLyfe wishes you and your family a happy and safe holiday season!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *